« Home | Next: Broadband Too Expensive in US? »
| Next: Comcast revs up my home cable connection »
| Next: VoIP for the contact center »
| Next: VoIP Gift Idea: Skype Firebox Phone Handset »
| Next: A Guide To Cheap Online Phone Calls »
| Next: Meet the Mockers: the anti-VoIP machine fires up »
| Next: For those in the middle of nowhere: satellite band... »
| Next: Skype to Make U.S. Retail Debut »
| Next: Chip Makers Eye Move to Multicore »
| Next: Symantec Shelves Sygate Personal Firewall »

Tuesday

Cheap Dialup Access

A few months ago I needed to find an inexpensive dialup service for work. I didn’t need a lot of bells and whistles, just a connection. I finally ended up choosing SysMatrix, a provider based in Silsbee, Texas. Not only did it offer basic dialup for $6.95 a month, it got good reviews from a couple of places I checked. I like its style, too. For example, this disclaimer:

“This service offered as unlimited, as in, may use any time of the day or night. Unlimited does not mean that the customer has the right to stay connected 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That would be considered dedicated Internet access, rather than unlimited Internet access. We reserve the right to place on hold or cancel anyone who abuses our system by trying to remain online dedicated. We feel that by listing this information up front, we are being honest with our customers unlike other companies who hide this information until after you sign up.”


The foregoing notwithstanding, I have no problem remaining connected for 6-8 hours at a time while at work. It does occasionally drop me off after a half hour or so with no activity - a perfectly reasonable policy.

I'm pleased to say that I'm entirely satisfied with its service. I've had no drop-offs unrelated to inactivity, no problems connecting, and as far as I can tell, the service has been up 100%. In addition to a basic connection, the service comes with "$6.95 a month Promo (No Setup Fee) for as long as you stay with us. Unlimited e-mail addresses, 20 megs of Web space, Over 7600 access numbers, and 88,000 + Newsgroups newsfeed, with 50 days retention on binary groups."

Various expanded services are available at reasonable rates. The $6.95/mo. promotional offer is only available from this page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google This